Monday, March 16, 2009

Random Chronicle: No Child Left Behind

In recent days one thing that seems to disturb me more and more as the days progress is the fact that as Americans we depend on the government entirely too much. Please hear me out, I'm not anti-patriotic. Although, I do pledge my allegiance first to a Kingdom in comparison to a country, I'm not anti-patriotic. Let me explain, in 2001 the nation embarked on an ambitious school reform plan entitled the No Child Left Behind Act. The No Child Left Behind Act was passed by the federal government to improve failing schools. The Act is supposed to make sure all students get the education they need. I believe that the No Child Left Behind Act is a beautiful program. Yet the preacher in side of me becomes disturbed with the words no child left behind and conviction begins to stir in the depths of my soul. One question that I have about No Child Left Behind is did the government really create this Act or was it created a couple thousand years back? After spending a little bit of time in God's word I discovered that the No Child Left Behind Act is found in the book 2 Peter. It reads "But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." It is through this beautiful piece of scripture Peter reveals some of God's amazing heart. It is through this passage the reason why Jesus' hasn't returned becomes unveiled. It is God's greatest desire that all should come to repentance. In other words it is God's greatest desire that no child should be left behind. Oh If many of the American churches found this to be true. It seems too often that many American churches have modeled their membership after the application process of any local country club. I mean think about in my city there are well over 200 plus churches that meet weekly. There is between 250-300 residential homeless in our city. This means that they call Abilene their home. Now please understand me, I'm not so naive that I think every homeless really wants to get off the street, but I do have faith enough to know that many would jump at the chance. What if every church in our city took the responsibility to help one homeless in our city for 6 months? I mean isn't this what most of the early part of the book of Acts is about? In Acts chapter 4 verse 32 states "All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they shared everything they had." Yet many American churches would rather build another building instead of building theKingdom of God through one life at a time. I pray that starting with you and I, we will revive the No Child Left Behind Act not only educationally speaking, but most of all spiritually. It is my prayer that beautiful children, those that are outcast, those that are widowed, those that have no homes, those that have special needs will never feel like they have been left behind.

2 comments:

  1. WOW.. Chad this is awesome I cannot wait to read more of your blogs to come..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cyndi, thanks so much for your kind comments and for taking the time to journey along this adventure with me.

    Live to Love.
    C

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on one of my Chronicles!

Live to Love.
C