Sunday, September 6, 2009

Uncle Sam

Yesterday, I received a phone call informing me that Ash's Uncle, Sam was fading fast due to his battle with cancer. I was able to pray with him over the phone as he rested in his hospice hospital bed. A few hours later I received another call stating that Uncle Sam had departed from this world to meet his Maker. Uncle Sam, I guess its been about 6 years since I first met him. There are so many incredible qualities about him. I loved going to visit his home because, man he was an awesome cook. More than his cooking there was something deeper instilled in him that connected us in a unique way. Uncle Sam, was an inner city high school teacher in Houston, Texas. His passion for the underprivileged and outcast was convicting yet inspiring to me. Our passions were and remain very similar, to show the underprivileged and outcast that they do have hope, and they can become all that God wants them to be, if only they would make the effort to keep striving regardless of their circumstance. This week I have the amazing honor of leading Uncle Sam's celebration. Though it will be difficult, it will bring joy to my soul to help honor his life.....
So here's to you my friend, Uncle Sam, thank you for the memories, thanks for the conversations about the inner city, but most of all thank you for inspiring children to dream. There are countless lives that are changed because you were willing to walk by their side.

Live to Love.
C

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on one of my Chronicles!

Live to Love.
C