Thursday, December 24, 2009

Impact Statement

At the conclusion of the trial for the guy that killed my friend Albert, the family had the opportunity to give a statement to the guy that took my friend's life. I can honestly say that the words that came from Albert's older brother, Carlos lips were some of the most amazing words I have ever heard. I thought I would share it with you...

Carlos started out his statement by reading Psalm 35:22-28 (New International Version) a passage Albert had came across one night. I will never forget the night Albert came across this passage, he called me, absolutely excited. If you do not know Albert's story a guy attempted to assassinate him 4 months prior to his death, so this passage brought a tremendous amount of healing to Albert. And even though Albert did not know it at the time, this passage would soon become a soon to be fulfilled prophecy for his life...

Impact statement spoken by Carlos Cadena (Imagine him sitting less than 4 feet away from the guy that killed his brother and reading this to him...

O LORD, you have seen this; be not silent. Do not be far from me, O Lord. Awake, and rise to my defense! Contend for me, my God and Lord. Vindicate me in your righteousness, O LORD my God; do not let them gloat over me. Do not let them think, "Aha, just what we wanted!" or say, "We have swallowed him up." May all who gloat over my distress be put to shame and confusion; may all who exalt themselves over me be clothed with shame and disgrace. May those who delight in my vindication shout for joy and gladness; may they always say, "The LORD be exalted, who delights in the well-being of his servant." My tongue will speak of your righteousness and of your praises all day long."

We stand today as a strong and loving family. We pray to our God that He has justice. Today we sit here before the court still dealing with an open deep wound. Life will never be the same without Albert. We want you to know you took a big part of us, but not the best of us because we will carry Albert in our hearts forever. Albert was a good husband and father to his children. He was a good son, brother, nephew, neighbor, friend, church member, and person. This has deeply hurt our family and friends. His family still looks and waits for him to come back someday. We want you to know that not only did Albert suffer when you shot him on the side, face, and left him the way you did, but you did the same to all of us.
Why did you shoot him in the fashion you did? Why the face? The family, his wife, his kids, and friends were not able to kiss him or say goodbye one last time.
Albert was trying to do good when you took him cowardly. He was trying to be a better man. You did not allow that. We hope God has mercy upon your soul and you think about it everyday on how you took his life.
Although our family chooses peace and not take revenge on you or your family, we know when you stand before God you won’t be able to lie anymore. We will continue in love and carry his dreams to Stop the Violence and Start the Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on one of my Chronicles!

Live to Love.
C