Monday, November 9, 2009

Bed Rest

Bed rest, I'm sure at one time or another you have been exposed to those two words. Either a friend of yours, a wife, or maybe yourself while carrying your child was put on bed rest. The reality is nearly one in five women in the United States is put on bedrest at some point during pregnancy. That is, she's told to spend much or all of her time lying in bed. This can last anywhere from a few days to a number of months. The reality is there's no universal definition of bed rest. It can range from complete bed rest which means spending 24 hours a day in bed, or less restrictive forms of bedrest, sometimes known as modified or partial bedrest. You might be told to stay home and rest in bed, but you may be able to get up to make yourself lunch, join your family at the dinner table, and take a shower, for example. The overall intention for bed rest is to alleviate the day to day pressure and strain off a woman expecting. Like I mentioned previously 1 in 5 woman in the U.S. is put on bed rest at some point during pregnancy, but aren't all believers of Christ commissioned to be on partial bed rest occasionally? I know its a thought that might stretch us a bit, but scripture clearly states in Psalm 46:10"Be still, and know that I am God." In other words God asks us, his followers to be calm, to be ever so still and be confident in knowing that our Lord is God, He alone. Too often my chaotic schedule keeps me from my bed, needless to say bed rest is not in my vocabulary. Honestly at times I deny my body the opportunity to remove the day to day pressure and strain. The past several months due to an illness I have been forced to rest from many activities that I normally involve myself in such as working out at least four times a week. During this time, I have faced a roller coaster of emotions, even in the midst of boredom, and frustration I have found myself at a greater peace. I have found myself enjoying life more than ever before due to being rested. When is the last time you allowed yourself to be on partial bed rest, when you gave your body the opportunity to rest from life's demands and simply pause and know that God is God?

2 comments:

  1. Amen! Isn't it amazing how hard we find it to slow down and refresh, replenish and renew? I just blogged about this yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps. 46:10 has had much significance to me for many years. Its not just the rest but the willingness to literally set aside everything--to be still and let go completely so that we can focus on Him...to KNOW that He is God. There's been times when this one little verse has put my mind, my heart, and my hands back in His presence. He promised, "Come to Me all who are weary...and I will give you rest." Amazing how often He has to knock us on our backside for us to remember!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on one of my Chronicles!

Live to Love.
C