Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A lesson on brokenness from a child

This past weekend my mom had the great idea to by my daughter a second hermit grab, due to her current hermit crab being "lonely." Ha ha, anyway needless to say the most tragic thing in my daughter's life occurred yesterday. We came home and in a matter of seconds I heard my daughter crying like I have never heard previously. I mean she has been hurt with injury numerous time whether it due to mixed martial arts or soccer and cried, but this time it was different. I ran to her room and saw the root of her brokenness. Her older hermit crab that she has had since September had died. Now obviously we don't know what took place to cause the crab's death, did it die from old age or did the new crab raise havoc on "Fred," the crab? Who knows, but one thing happened in the midst of the death of my daughter's crab. I realized for the first time in my little girl's life, she was experiencing a broken heart. Man, it tore me up. Then almost instantly I got severely convicted. My daughter was hurting for a crab of all things, but how often am I deeply broken for humanity? For instance right now as I sit in my warm house, next to the fire place, am I broken for my friends that lay their heads on the streets of my city this very night? Am I broken as a result of the article I read about women being sexually abused in Haiti? Am I broken for those that don't know Christ' love personally? I honestly wonder how this world would be different if we were broken on behalf of others?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on one of my Chronicles!

Live to Love.
C