Saturday, March 6, 2010

My Pastor, My Friend, My second Dad

As a graduate student at Hardin Simmons University, one of the professors asked us to introduce ourselves on the first day of class by sharing our favorite life quote. Most of the students gave wise and honorable sentiments and proverbs but the not-so-traditional student who sat next to me gave the most memorable. He unveiled the wisdom that a widow had spoken into his life, “Son, in this life there is only one thing that can proceed our death…it is what we give to another man’s soul.” Years have passed but those words stuck to me like glue, especially when I think about Brother Wayne Oglesby, because Brother Wayne truly gave to my soul throughout my lifetime. Brother Wayne was my pastor, my friend, and much like a second father to me as a result of his son, Dusty being my best friend growing up. Since my early little league days, and hot summer days on the tennis court, Brother Wayne was always around. Brother Wayne, not once judged me, he simply loved and listened to me. When I lost 5 of my high school friends my junior year of high school it was Brother Wayne that was my rock, he was the one that was there to counsel me. It was Brother Wayne that opened his arms up to me, as I renewed my faith in God. At church camp, when I felt a pull to surrender to the ministry, it was Brother Wayne that set with me for hours explaining to me the processes of surrendering to the ministry. Months later after I surrendered to the ministry before the Calvary Congregation, it was Brother Wayne who on April 13th, 1997 licensed me to the Gospel ministry. On November 11th, 1999 it was Brother Wayne who stood at the pulpit, who preached about being obedient to the call of God, when the Holy Spirit convicted me to go and volunteer at a homeless ministry. It was Brother Wayne, who encouraged me and inspired me to go and work at the homeless ministry. Thirteen years later, I still serve the homeless and poor in our city, but from a different position. I serve them as their senior pastor for the last 7 years. There is no doubt in my mind if it wasn’t for Brother Wayne being obedient to the call of God, and for him being a faithful pastor, friend, and second Dad to me, there is no way I would be the person I am today. When skimming my notes looking for something that reminds me of Brother Wayne, I came across this poem.

There are heroes who walk among us, never looking for glory or praise

They don't seek recognition for their thoughtful, caring ways. 

Living lives of deep commitment, providing for those they hold dear

Steadfast with a quiet strength, through times of laughter and tears. 

Brother Wayne, You are a person like that to me

One of the most selfless men by far

So Bro Wayne, I'd like to thank you, for being the HERO that you are

Although Brother Wayne no longer walks the streets of this world, and now resides with his Heavenly Maker, his legacy lives on in me and the thousands of lives that he touched around the world as a result of what he gave to our souls. Brother Wayne, all I can say is thank you, thank you for the love you showed me, thank you for the late night conversations you shared with me, thank you for lending me your shoulder to cry on in my times of trouble, thank you for the words you shared that inspire me to be the person I am today…Thank you

Live to Love,




Chad Mitchell

1 comment:

  1. Chad, what a blessing to read this. Wayne was indeed a special man. He will be missed. Thank you for sharing. Marcia Moyers

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on one of my Chronicles!

Live to Love.
C