Wednesday, May 12, 2010

24 Years Ago Today

The older I get the more I realize how quickly the days of our lives sweep away. Twenty four years ago today, I attended my mom's softball game at Nelson Park. My dad chose to stay at home that night for reasons I can't recall. Upon completion of her game we started our journey back to our home. As we proceeded closer and closer to our home I noticed a huge cloud of smoke in the sky. I remember as if it was yesterday asking my mom, "Hey Mom, where is that smoke coming from?" She replied, "Not sure, Chad. Maybe a house or a building has caught fire." Boy was she right, as we turned the corner to our home there the fire was, it seemed bigger than life. At that moment I witnessed an image that I will never forget the rest of my life. I watched a fireman take an axe to my roof as flames burst out of it. My mom slammed the car in a neighbor's front yard and off we ran to see if my Daddy was okay. In a matter of seconds, by the grace of God we found my Dad, he was shaken up, but he was okay. He then went on to tell us about two heroes, that I will be forever grateful for. My dad was watching TV in his bedroom when he heard the door bell ring and a lot of knocking on the door. He opened the door and two young college girls, said Mr. your house is on fire." Dad ran outside looked at the roof, and immediately went back in, gathered up our dog and what valuables he could and exited the house. Although we lost everything we owned, in all honesty it didn't matter whatsoever because my Dad was alive. Without those two young ladies knocking on my door to inform my Dad about the fire, my Dad most likely wouldn't had made it out. In the exact bedroom he was watching TV just above the ceiling in the attic the fire was birthed due to birds building a nest in the attic fan. As you go about life, remember the truest heroes are those that are everyday people doing all they can to help out humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on one of my Chronicles!

Live to Love.
C