Monday, May 10, 2010

Insight from a young man


Today I got to hang out with star high school junior running back Herschel Sims. He is an incredible young man that has committed to play football at Oklahoma State University after he graduates from highschool next year.

While I was asking him different questions for the book that Al and I are writing he said some of the most inspiring words I have ever heard.

One question I asked him was, "Whoever reads this book, if you could give them any advice, what would it be?" With a short pause he said. "Learn from your mistakes, your past reflects your future, what you go through in the past, you can use for motivation, or you can use it for an excuse."

For such a young man, his words are of great depth. So many times in life I hear of people making excuses for their current situations as a result of past experiences. For instance, I am an alcoholic because my mom was, or I am abusive because that is the way my dad treated my mom...in reality Herschel's words are so rich and true. As we mature in age, we have to decide whether we are going to let our past motivate us or hinder us. Tomorrow when you wake up, look in the mirror...and ask yourself, "what do you see?" Is it motivation to become better and use your past for God's glory, or is it simply an excuse to remain in bondage?

Thanks Herschel for the insight, you truly inspired me today...

Live to Love

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on one of my Chronicles!

Live to Love.
C