Sunday, September 19, 2010

James overview

My favorite verse in the book of James is found in James 1:19 which reads "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.” Perseverance is something that all of us as followers of Christ desperately need. This scripture also reminds us that our faith can be best described as a walk, something that requires us to keep moving.

James 2:17-18 is the highlight verse of chapter two, it reads, “My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." Sadly enough throughout my lifetime I have been quick to speak and slow to listen. What a paradox in itself.

James 3:5: "In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. But someone will say, ‘You have faith; I have deeds.’ Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.” So many times in life people say they believe in Jesus yet their actions do not follow their convictions. It is so easy to talk the talk, yet for some reason it is difficult to walk the walk.

James 5:16b: "Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark.” The tongue is such a small part of the body, yet one of the most powerful pieces of our body.
 In life too often we don’t realize that our tongue, even it is small has the power to bring life or death.

The book of James is powerful because it describes what sincere faith genuinely looks like which requires that our works and our faith go hand and hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on one of my Chronicles!

Live to Love.
C