Thursday, October 14, 2010

Chapter 1 Phil

Chapter 1

In Chapter 1 of Philippians Paul expresses his joy to the church at Philippi as a result of their partnership in proclaiming the gospel. Paul is confident that God won’t abandon them, but will finish the work He has begun in them. Paul specifically prays that they will continue.

Phil 1:3-6 Every time I think of you, I give thanks to my God. Whenever I pray, I make my requests for all of you with joy, for you have been my partners in spreading the Good News about Christ from the time you first heard it until now. And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.

Paul then experiences a sense of being torn, he greatly desires to be with Christ, yet he recognizes he is still needed greatly among humanity.

Phil 1:20-25 For I fully expect and hope that I will never be ashamed, but that I will continue to be bold for Christ, as I have been in the past. And I trust that my life will bring honor to Christ, whether I live or die. For to me, living means living for Christ, and dying is even better. But if I live, I can do more fruitful work for Christ. So I really don’t know which is better. I’m torn between two desires: I long to go and be with Christ, which would be far better for me. But for your sakes, it is better that I continue to live. Knowing this, I am convinced that I will remain alive so I can continue to help all of you grow and experience the joy of your faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on one of my Chronicles!

Live to Love.
C