Thursday, October 14, 2010

Phil 3

In Chapter 3 we quickly see a profound warning.
The warning is for those that place trust in the flesh, and their accomplishments. Paul, with his upbringing could be the first to boast about his distinguished heritage. Yet Paul compares all the accomplishments to garbage in comparison to knowing Christ.

Philippians 3:3-8 For we who worship by the Spirit of God are the ones who are truly circumcised. We rely on what Christ Jesus has done for us. We put no confidence in human effort, though I could have confidence in my own effort if anyone could. Indeed, if others have reason for confidence in their own efforts, I have even more! I was circumcised when I was eight days old. I am a pure-blooded citizen of Israel and a member of the tribe of Benjamin—a real Hebrew if there ever was one! I was a member of the Pharisees, who demand the strictest obedience to the Jewish law. I was so zealous that I harshly persecuted the church. And as for righteousness, I obeyed the law without fault. I once thought these things were valuable, but now I consider them worthless because of what Christ has done. Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.

Paul then declares that no matter what he faced or will face he will continue with persistence and determination to stay his course.

Philippians 3:12-14 I don’t mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me. No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on one of my Chronicles!

Live to Love.
C