Sunday, November 22, 2009

Neglected Commandment

This past week I had the honor to speak to a public school 8th grade boys mentorship program. I was so greatly encouraged by being in their presence. I was  incredibly excited to see men that took time out of their schedule to mentor young teenage boys. I honestly believe if there is one thing that is definitely lacking in the American church, it is discipleship/mentorship. Honestly I have spent way too much time, energy, and resources pouring into things that are incredibly temporal. One of the most familiar passages to followers of Jesus is the Great Commission, found in Matthew 28:18-20 states "And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Sadly enough even myself as a church leader, have often found myself neglecting this command. I encourage you to look around your daily spheres of influence, there is someone that crosses your path frequently that needs you to disciple them. Whether it be your child, a friend, a coworker, or even your neighbor, simply look around.

Christianity without discipleship is always Christianity without Christ. --Dietrich Bonhoeffer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on one of my Chronicles!

Live to Love.
C